as i was trying to explain earlier, there is no such thing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Match & Residency ]

Posted by Laura from IP on March 28, 2010 at 21:29:22:

In Reply to: H1b transfer posted by to Laura and all other who wish to help on March 28, 2010 at 14:43:47:

as H1B transfer. H1B is an employer-dependent visa, meaning your employer must sponsor you. as soon as your work ends so does the expiration date on your visa, or 6 years, whichever comes first. if you find another job where the employer is willing to sponsor your visa, you can get another H1B with the new employer. your time on H1B is limited to 6 years total, regardless of how many jobs and employers you've had. your options are the following:
1. find another position with a company that may sponsor your visa
2. get another type of visa - you can enroll as a student a get a F-1 or J-1 visa. F-1 is for students that sponsor themselves, meaning you will pay tuition out of pocket and be able to work up to 20 hrs on campus only; J-1 is sponsored by someone else (you get a stipend) but after that you have to go home for 2 years (unless you get a waiver)
3. marry someone and get a greencard
4. stay illegally - if you ever get into residency however you will need to fill out paperwork for a new visa and your illegal status will be discovered
5. go home and apply for residency from there
decide what you want to do and what's best for you. i don't know your situation, but it seems that nowadays is extremely hard to find any job, let alone one that would sponsor a visa. if you have any savings, try to pass the GRE with excellent results and enroll in a PhD on a F-1 visa, that way you'll get a stipend and won't have to go back home after finishing it. it's tough, i am sorry. good luck to you

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Match & Residency ]